Identifying Digital Marketing as a top growth industry is vital when looking at a career change or contemplating studying in this area. A recent LinkedIn report summarised the top popular marketing skills for 2021, compiled from data collected from actual employers and job postings. After the initial COVID-19 outbreak, these findings indicate that the demand for digital marketing has steadily increased.
In this article, we examine the factors contributing to the increase in Digital Marketing jobs.
We will also answer questions such as:
- How can Digital Marketing be a Top Growth Industry post-COVID-19?
- Is it possible to work remotely and have a successful career as a Digital Marketer?
- Which industries would be most likely to hire Digital Marketers?
- In a top growth industry such as digital marketing, what are the specific skills in demand?
LinkedIn’s data and report offer insight into the following vital factors individuals may consider when choosing a career in digital marketing:
1. How can Digital Marketing be a Top Growth Industry post-COVID-19?
Jobs often diminish during challenging times, like during a recession or, in this case, COVID 19. Despite this, digital marketing has experienced the reverse.
There are several reasons why Digital Marketing is a Top Growth Industry. Primarily because digital marketers are vital in helping with the massive surge of businesses needing to go online. In addition, there is now the realisation that marketing departments need to develop innovative online marketing strategies to stand out and reach potential customers more effectively.
According to the LinkedIn report:
- The number of marketing jobs posted on LinkedIn has increased by 63% in the last six months.
- During the past year, there were more than 380,000 job listings related to marketing.
2. Is it possible to work remotely and have a successful career as a Digital Marketer?
COVID-19 has changed the tradition of 9 – 5 work. 17K remote marketing jobs were advertised in the past year, according to the LinkedIn report.
Many people do not realise that you don’t have to be employed by a large corporation or work for a traditional advertising agency to be a digital marketer. Due to the increased demand for remote workers, many talented Digital Marketing Professionals can work from home while maintaining full-time employment. The World Economic Forum’s Future of Jobs Survey 2021 reports that 84% of employers said they intend to accelerate the digitalisation of work processes, and 83% will provide more opportunities to work remotely.
An independent study Pre-COVID by The Left Bank (2019) revealed that even then, the demand for Digital Marketing Talent was sitting at 59%, with active supply at 19%.
It is encouraging to see that five of the top 10 Marketing jobs on LinkedIn are Digital or Media Jobs, which shows the market’s growth.
This growth has created a need for professionals who can handle content creation, social media management, and SEO to analytics and conversion rate optimisation.
Businesses no longer need to hire whole teams of people just to execute one campaign. They simply need a small group of specialists who can work remotely and oversee everything.
3. Which industries would be most likely to hire Digital Marketers?
Knowing which industries are becoming more reliant on Digital Marketing is the first step to finding remote jobs that are right for you.
According to the LinkedIn survey, these ten industries stand out the most in terms of marketing job growth:
- Arts (85.9%)
- Retail (72.6%)
- Education (63.7%)
- Corporate Services (60.6%)
- Software & IT Services (22.7%)
- Legal (23.6%)
- Design (21.3%)
- Media & Communications (20.5%)
- Wellness & Fitness (-1.2%)
- Public Administration (-2.1%)
Suppose you are looking at a Digital Marketing career. In that case, you should know that experience gained in any of these industries above will undoubtedly put you at an advantage when transitioning to a career in Digital Marketing. You might even specialise in a specific sector using particular digital marketing skills, which we cover in the next section.
4. In a top growth industry such as digital marketing, what are the specific skills in demand?
Digital marketers may be in high demand, but without the proper training, you won’t be able to capitalise on the job market’s needs. Knowing what is most important to industries at the moment is key to standing out. Once you understand what is required, you can focus your learning on either acquiring a general Digital Marketing qualification or specialising in a particular skill like Social Media Strategy or SEO.
As per the LinkedIn report, the following are the most sought-after digital marketing roles in various industries.
- Digital Marketing Specialist. The primary goal of a digital marketing specialist is to develop and implement an integrated marketing plan that supports the organisation’s goals.
- Digital Account Executive. The role of a digital account executive involves more than just sales calls. Usually, they are responsible for managing all aspects of marketing, such as social media, email marketing, digital advertising, content management systems, analytics, and more.
- Managing social media marketing. Businesses must use social media and video to connect with their customers and share content. According to the LinkedIn report, the most in-demand skill is to be an expert in social media, with Instagram Marketing knowledge growing by 72% and content marketing close behind at 63%.
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) came up in the LinkedIn report as one of the top in-demand marketing skills.
In the report, Off-site SEO is at the top of the list because it involves getting other websites to link to your own. A link to your content is created when someone researches it, shares it with their audience, and links back to it. In determining your PageRank, Google considers your backlinks. NZIE offers our SEO short course and Digital Marketing Level 7 Diploma, which covers this in-depth.
According to the report by LinkedIn, Digital marketing is one of the most dynamic industries in the world today. Despite the impact of COVID-19, it appears that Digital Marketing has a bright future, full of possibilities. In addition to learning about the new career opportunities available in this rapidly expanding field, you must also develop some essential skills that will help you get your dream job. At NZIE, we are glad to be in a position to help students gain access to enter this exciting and growing field.
Are you interested in learning about Digital Marketing?
NZIE’s digital marketing diploma consists of a comprehensive study of all the significant aspects of digital marketing. As part of this course, you will learn how to create compelling, engaging content, study digital design principles, and enhance your mobile marketing skills.
NZIE also offers short courses on social media marketing and SEO to round out your digital marketing skillset. Professional tutors have honed their skills in the real world. As a result, you can gain skills you can use in your career. No matter what industry you work in, becoming a qualified digital marketer will make you a more valuable employee. Our courses are all offered online, so you can do it in your own time without affecting your current work schedule.