Some ways Jana offers Career Support:
- 1-1 onboarding meeting for all students. This is a time for Jana to learn the student’s goals for studying with NZIE and what they hope to get out of the course (eg: a job, internships, particular skills).
- CV support, as well as cover letters, proofreading, and editing.
- Sharing job opportunities on NZIE’s Student Facebook group, Learning Hub, or by directly getting in touch with students that could be a good fit.
- Facilitating career workshops, which are free and open to NZIE students and graduates. This could be building an online design portfolio or other job search tips.
- Offboarding meeting for graduates to discuss their post-study goals. Jana will check in and see if the graduate needs extra support in finding work, changing roles, or even if they would like to study any more courses on offer at NZIE.
New Zealand is in desperate need of Digital Marketers:
According to Amazon web services, a million workers will need digital skills training next year. However, long university degrees are no longer a requirement:
“There is a big misconception that you have to have four-year degree and a student loan to work in tech. That is changing fast. Employers in tech are looking for people with life experience and who are trainable. We have hired people who have done a four-month course.” Game Developers Association chairwoman, Chelsea Rapp
Jana has experienced first-hand the demand for Digital Marketers
“I do experience more companies reaching out to me [asking for workers] than students [looking for work]. What I experience the most is companies that are desperate for the right person.