Take your career to the next level with NZIE’s Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Business endorsed by NZ’s Business Industry.
Activate your ambition with NZIE
At NZIE, we are a Tertiary Institute that is all about preparing and delivering capable professionals into New Zealand’s growing businesses and economy. We’ll get you working together with a NZ company so you can develop your management and leadership skills in a practical environment through our research and internship(unpaid) programme.
A unique feature of this programme is that there are no ‘majors’. This means that you’ll be able to select your ‘field of study’ based on your previous qualifications and/or work experience in which to undertake your research project and internship(unpaid). This can include health, engineering, hospitality, IT, finance, marketing, or business management and many more subject areas.
8 GREAT REASONS TO ENROL IN THIS PROGRAMME
- You’ll be provided with an opportunity to work in a New Zealand business within your chosen field, and develop your business and management skills and knowledge
- You’ll come away with actionable managerial capabilities that can be practiced throughout the programme
- Includes a 10 week internship(unpaid) in your chosen industry
- The programme has been co-created with NZ Businesses, so you’ll come away with a recognised industry qualification.
- Our personal approach and tutorial style classes means you’ll get all the support you need to succeed.
- Our programme is delivered in partnership with your chosen business and industry so you’ll develop and apply strategies in ‘real’ business situations.
- You’ll develop a portfolio of work which can be presented to future employers and increase your career prospects.
- I’ll be assisted by Think Recruit, NZ employment service supporting students with my Internship(unpaid) opportunity.
If you’re not currently working in the industry then NZIE’s in-house recruitment advisors ‘Think Recruit’ will assist you with work experience and internship(unpaid) opportunities to get into the job market.
Applicants are expected to have completed one of the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in business or management or related field, or
- Graduate Diploma in business or management or related field or
- 120 credit Level 7 Diploma qualification (or the equivalent) in business or management or related field, or
- Relevant professional qualification approved by the NZIE Academic Board to be equivalent to a bachelors degree
- In lieu of a formal qualification, applicants may apply if they have at least three years’ suitable work experience in a supervisory or management role in a business or organization.
- Under this criteria the suitability of the applicant will be decided by the NZIE Academic Board who will assess whether the applicant has acquired the relevant skills and knowledge through their previous work experience to successfully enter this programme.
Applicants for whom English is not their first language are required to have achieved an average IELTS level of 6.5 with no band lower than 6, TOEFL (pBT) score of 590 (with an essay score of 5.5 TWE), TOEFL (iBT) score of 79 or higher (with a writing score of 21), University of Cambridge CAE with a score of 176 or higher or CPE with a score of no less than 169 in each skill, or NZCEL Level 5 with academic endorsement or the equivalent if they have not attained their former qualifications in English. Results must come from one test conducted in the last 2 years.
All applicants will be required to complete a pre-enrolment form which includes a 400-word statement about professional goals and rationale for seeking entry into this programme. Applicant suitability for the programme will be based on matching the applicant’s professional goals and motivation to the graduate outcomes for this programme and assessing whether they have the prerequisite skills required for successful achievement. If there is any doubt about the suitability of an applicant for this programme, NZIE will interview them in person or via Skype prior to confirming an offer of place.
POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA IN APPLIED BUSINESS COURSE CONTENT
The primary aim of this programme is to enable you to further develop your management skills and the ability to effectively analyse and improve the organisational capabilities required to enable a business to change, survive and grow in an increasingly uncertain and changing global environment.
Through applied practice and advancing theoretical knowledge, you will generate solutions to business problems and opportunities in a chosen organisation or business. When graduate you will be able to use your enhanced knowledge, skills and capabilities to proceed to further studies or to obtain employment in positions of responsibility within their chosen field.
Here’s a breakdown of what you’ll learn:
PGDAB801 Applied Business Research ProjectBuild your applied research skills by working collaboratively in a co-creative relationship with a New Zealand business or organisation and its stakeholders. You’ll provide recommendations to ‘real’ business problems and opportunities for the chosen business.
PGDAB802 Managerial Self-DevelopmentDevelop the critical people skills and capabilities required to be a manager in New Zealand’s dynamic business environment.
PGDAB803 Marketing Strategy and PracticeEnhance your ability to develop marketing strategies and put them into practice.
PGDAB804 Executive Leadership and Management PracticeExamine an organisation from the perspective of an Executive Manager and Leader. You’ll gain a deeper understanding of the requirements to operate effectively at senior executive level.
PGDAB805 Advanced Human Resource ManagementAdvance your knowledge and skills in understanding the application of key contemporary applied HRM skills and practices such as strategic HRM, corporate culture, change management, performance and productivity within organisations.
PGDAB806 Advanced Operations Management PracticeGet a full understanding of strategically managing the resources and operations with a New Zealand business or organisation to achieve commercial goals.
PGDAB807 InternshipGain the opportunity to work in a New Zealand business or organisation within your chosen field and further develop your business and management skills and knowledge.
WHEN YOU GRADUATE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO
After graduating you will be able to use their enhanced knowledge, skills and capabilities to proceed to further studies or to obtain employment in positions of responsibility within their chosen field.
POSTGRADUATE CAREER OPTIONS
Become an Executive Manager and Leader in your chosen field.
Full-time: 40 weeks plus holidays
Part-time: 80 weeks plus holidays
2019: 14 January, 1 April, 17 June, 2 September, 18 November